The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for September 2019
Catching up on this month… this post was actually written January 1 2020 but is back-dated so it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. 🙂
Notable that low temperatures were much higher than normal (3.5ºC) but high temperatures were lower than normal leading to an overall average 1.6ºC above normal. We had more rain than normal, but around 50% more in the City compared to the Airport so it might have been localized.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
One daily high rain and three daily low temperature records set. Neither record beat the all time high for stations in the valley.
- Sept 12 high rain 21.3 mm: #1 is 91.7 mm at Port Alberni in 1972.
- Sept 28 low temp 0.9º C: #1 is -2.8º C at Beaver Creek in 1919.
- Sept 29 low temp 1.4º C: #1 is -2.8º C at Beaver Creek in 1919 and 1950.
- Sept 30 low temp -1.8º C: #1 is -3.9º C at Beaver Creek in 1950.
September 2019 City Station Data Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 11.7º C, 15.5 C, 20.9º C, NA*** , S 48.3 kph on 23rd
- Alberni Elem. : 11.5º C, 15.3º C, 20.6º C, 124.7 mm, SSE 27 kph on 14th
- Maquinna Elem.: NA****
- Nick’s (Maq area): 11.3º C, 14.7º C, 19.1º C, 88.2 mm, E 31.4 kph on 6th
***Alberniweather rain gauge faulty. ****Maquinna station offline. *****Nick’s data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)).
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages and Normals
- City Average: 11.5º C, 15.2º C, 20.2º C, 106.5 mm
- Airport* : 9.6º C, 15.1º C, 20.6° C, 79.0 mm, NNW 37 kph on 27th
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): 8.0º C, 15.3º C 22.4° C, 61.4 mm
Differences from Normal
- City +3.5° C, -0.1º C, -2.2º C, +45.1 mm, (173.5% of normal)
- Official Airport +1.3° C, +1.6º C, +3.4º C, +17.6 mm (128.7% of normal)
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 10.3 : 14
>= 5 mm: 3.6 : 6
>= 10 mm: 1.8 : 2
>= 25 mm: 0.52 : 0
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.