The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for October 2020
Both temperatures and rainfall might have been deceiving this month as the Airport set 3 new low temperature daily records (none set a new all time mark) and there were four days of significant rain that might have made you think it was both cool and wet.
However, looking at the month overall, the temperatures were actually slightly above normal, especially the minimums. And we only had about half the normal amount of precipitation we see in October on 3 less days of the month than normal.
The unprecedented smoke that plagued us in September stuck around into October and to top it all off we got a Tsunami scare just after ShakeOut 2020. It didn’t result in a Warning for us but certainly reminded us that Mother Earth never sleeps!
Story of the Month
It’s gotta be a tie between the smoke, which had never happened before, and the tsunami scare, which we always anticipate but never expect!
The overall theme is, Be Prepared!
Enjoy the stats below!
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
3 new low temperature records were set at the Airport this month but none came close to historical lows set more than 100 years ago. Yes, we have changed and warmed the climate.
- Oct 22 low temp -1.3º C: #1 is -5.6º C at Beaver Creek in 1916.
- Oct 24 low temp -2.6º C: #1 is tied at -6.7º C at Beaver Creek and Port Alberni in 1919.
- Oct 25 low temp -5.2º C: #1 is -6.7º C at Port Alberni in 1919.
City Station Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 8.0 ºC, 11.3 ºC, 15.5 ºC, 109.7 mm , SSW 59.5 kph on 13th
- Alberni Elem. : 7.7 ºC, 11.1 ºC, 15.3 ºC, 149.1 mm, SSW 27 kph on 5th, 13th
- Maquinna Elem.: 7.9 ºC, 11.0 ºC, 14.9 ºC, 143.5 mm, – 25 kph on 13th
- Neptune: 8.2 ºC, 11.2 ºC, 15.4 ºC, NA , NA
- Nick’s (Maq area): 7.6 ºC, 10.4 ºC, 13.7 ºC, 98.6 mm, SE 38.9 kph on 30th
City and Airport
Compared to Normal
Differences from Normal (1971-2000) in the City
+2.9° C, +1.1º C, +0.2 ºC, -96.2 mm (50.5%)
This Month’s Average City Values
- City Stations Average: 7.9º C, 11.0º C, 15.0º C, 98.0 mm
- Normal 1971-2000 (Prt Alb A (Somass)): 5.0º C, 9.9º C 14.8° C, 194.2 mm
Differences from Normal (1981-2010) at the Airport
+1.1° C, +0.7º C, +0.3º C, -91.6 mm (56.7%)
This Month’s Average Airport Values
- Airport : 6.0º C, 10.4º C, 14.7° C, 120.0 mm, SE 35kph on 29th and 30th
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrtsn Creek): 4.9º C, 9.7º C 14.4° C, 211.6 mm
Official Days of Precipitation at Airport*
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 16.5 : 13
>= 5 mm: 8.7 : 6
>= 10 mm: 6.2 : 4
>= 25 mm: 2.9 : 2
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca or Missing Data (January 2020) **^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport. ** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures. ***Rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline. *~: Neptune station missing data from 21st onward. ^Estimated amount, as new rain gauge installed on the 7th, used Alberni Elementary totals before that date.