The Weather and Climate Summary for February 2018
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1995 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
Four new short term low temp records. One new rain record.
No All Time Records were set this month.
- February 12 low temp -6.6º C : #1 is -13.3º C at Bvr. Crk. in 1949.
- February 19 low temp -9.7º C : #1 is -14.5º C at Rbrtsn. Crk. in 1986.
- February 21 low temp -8.2º C : #1 is -12.2º C at Bvr. Crk. in 1910.
- February 22 low temp -10.0º C : #1 is -12.2º C at Bvr. Crk. in 1910.
- February 28 rain 27.4 mm : #1 is 94.7 mm at Port Alberni in 1946.
February 2018 City Station Data Comparisons
Minimum, Mean, and High Average Temp, Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 0.1º C, 3.4º C, 7.1º C, 66.8 mm , SSE 48.2 kph on 4th
- Alberni Elem. : NA, 98.8 mm, SE 31kph on 4th
- Maquinna Elem.: 0.2º C, 3.3º C, 6.7ºC, 95.5 mm, 27kph on 4th, 8th, 24th.
- Nick’s (Maq area): 0.0ºC, 2.8º C, 6.1ºC, 66.8 mm, 42.5kph on 4th.
*Alberniweather rain gauge under-reporting so has been removed
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages and Normals
- City Average: 0.1º C, 2.8º C, 6.6º C, 76.3 mm
- Airport* : -1.7º C, 2.3º C, 6.3° C, 90.2 mm, NW 37kph on 18th
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): -0.6º C, 3.0º C 6.6° C, 222.7 mm
Differences from Normal
- City +0.5° C, -0.2º C, 0.0º C, -146.4 mm, (34% of normal)
- Official Airport -1.1° C, -1.7º C, -0.3º C, -132.5 mm (40.5% of normal)
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 17.2 : 16
>= 5 mm: 10.2 : 7
>= 10 mm: 7.5 : 2
>= 25 mm: 3.2 : 1
Comparison to same month at Alberniweather
Most similar month at Alberniweather: 2008
- 2017: IT SNOWED!! It was a little cooler. See the February 2017 Summary
- 2016: Much warmer and wetter February 2016. See the February 2016 Summary
- 2015: Extremely Warm February 2015. See the February 2015 Summary
- 2014: Cooler and wet 2014. See the February 2014 Summary
- 2013: Slightly warmer 2013.
- 2012: Similar temp and rain 2012.
- 2011: Colder 2011.
- 2010: Much warmer and wetter 2010.
- 2009: Cooler and drier 2009.
- 2008: Similar temp and rain 2008.
- 2007: Warmer and wetter 2007.
- 2006: Warmer and wetter 2006.
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.