The Summary for January 2018
Daily records set this month at the Airport* since 1995 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
ONE new short term high temp records. FOUR new rain records.
TWO All Time records, one high temp, one rain.
No short term low temp records.
- January 17 high temp 11.2º C: NEW ALL TIME RECORDf
- January 21 rain 62.1 mm: NEW ALL TIME RECORD
Previous Record was 53.1 mm in 1947 at Port Alberni “City”.
- January 28 rain 71.9 mm: #1 is 125.0 mm in 1958 at Robertson Creek.
JANUARY 2018 Minimum, Mean, and High Average Temp, Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 2.4º C, 4.0º C, 6.0º C, 380.5 mm , SSE 65.8 kph on the 18th.
- Alberni Elem. School : 1.8º C, 4.2º C, 8.1° C, 497.6 mm, SE 36kph on the 18th.
- Maquinna Elem. School: 2.4ºC, 4.0º C, 6.0ºC, 573.5 mm, 39kph on the 17th.
- Nick’s Station (Maquinna area): 2.2ºC, 3.6º C, 5.2ºC, 413.2 mm, ESE 57.4kph on the 17th.
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages
- Overall City Average: 2.2º C, 4.0º C, 6.3º C, 466.2 mm
- Environment Canada Airport* : 1.2º C, 3.2º C, 5.3° C, 485.6 mm, SE 57kph on the 21st
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): -0.3º C 2.0º C 4.3° C 339.5 mm
Differences from Normal at Robertson Creek
City +2.5° C, +2.0º C, +2.0º C, +126.7 mm (137.3% of normal)
Official Airport +1.5° C, +1.2º C, +1.0º C, +146.1 mm (143.0% of normal)
Amount : Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 21.6 : 27
>= 5 mm: 13.3 : 19
>= 10 mm: 10.3 : 14
>= 25 mm: 4.9 : 6
SEE Last Month’s AND LAST JANUARY’S SUMMARY.
* May have used backup Env Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.
Comparison to recent months of JANUARY at Alberniweather
MOST SIMILAR ALBERNIWEATHER JANUARY TO THIS MONTH? 2006
January 2006 was not perfectly the same as this past January, but it was close. It had near identical cold and average temperatures but it was a little warmer on the high side. However, it was just as rainy!
- 2017: Cooler and drier 2017. See the January 2017 Summary
- 2016: Cooler and drier 2016. See the January 2016 Summary
- 2015: Warmer and drier 2015. See the January 2015 Summary
- 2014: Similar temps but not quite as wet. See the January 2014 Summary
- 2013: Very cool and dry 2013.
- 2012: Quite a bit cooler but similar rain 2012.
- 2011: Quite a bit cooler and drier 2011.
- 2010: Much warmer but similar rain 2010.
- 2009: Much cooler and drier 2009.
- 2008: Much cooler and a little drier 2008.
- 2007: Quite a bit cooler and a little drier 2007.
- 2006: A little warmer and similar rain 2006.