The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for January 2019
Catching up on this month… this post was actually written January 3 2020 but is back-dated so it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. 🙂
The average temperature this month at the airport was just over 1ºC higher than normal. January had a nearly normal amount of rain. There was one day missing in the record that may have brought the total closer to normal.
It snowed on the 9th and 10th.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
We set one high temperature record at the Airport on January 3rd along with a high rainfall record and another rainfall record on the 9th. Neither mark approached a record.
- Jan 3 high temp 10.4º C: #1 is 12.8º C at Port Alberni in 1934.
- Jan 3 high rain 73.9 mm: #1 is 80.4 mm at Robertson Creek in 1994.
- Jan 9 high rain 48.7 mm: #1 is 56.1 mm at Robertson Creek in 1966.
January 2019 City Station Data Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 2.5º C, 4.2 C, 6.2º C, NA*** , SSE 62.8 kph on 19th
- Alberni Elem. : NA*****
- Maquinna Elem.: 2.3º C, 4.0º C, 6.1º C, 382.8 mm, 37.7 kph on 4th
- Nick’s (Maq area): 2.2º C, 3.7º C, 5.5º C, 211.6 mm, SSE 40.7 kph on 4th
***Alberniweather rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline.
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages and Normals
- City Average: 2.3º C, 4.0º C, 5.9º C, 297.2 mm
- Airport* : 1.1C, 3.3º C, 5.5° C, 325.6 mm, ENE 41 kph on 8th
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): -0.3º C, 2.0º C 4.3° C, 339.5 mm
Differences from Normal
- City +2.6° C, +2.0º C, 1.6º C, -42.3 mm, (87.5% of normal)
- Official Airport +1.4° C, +1.3º C, +1.2º C, -13.9 mm (95.9% of normal)
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 21.6 : 16
>= 5 mm: 13.3 : 12
>= 10 mm: 10.3 : 10
>= 25 mm: 4.9 : 4
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.