August 5, 2020

The Winter of Uncertainty

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 4:00 PM PDT Wednesday 05 August 2020 - Wednesday night: Increasing cloudiness. Rain beginning early this evening. Low 14. Thursday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 22. UV index 6 or high. Thursday night: Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 11. Friday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 19. Friday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 11. Saturday: Clearing. High 24. Saturday night: Clear. Low 11. Sunday: Sunny. High 28. Sunday night: Cloudy periods. Low 13. Monday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 22. Monday night: Cloudy periods. Low 13. Tuesday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 21.

I’ve gotten out of my usual rhythm when it comes to updating the blog this week. I usually write my blogs while on the bus to work, but with my 3G connection on the fritz, it’s put a damper on that. I can write them. I just can’t find links and things and actually publish them.

In weather news…. There isn’t a whole lot to talk about. We should get a break from the rain on Saturday but it should return Sunday. After that last shot, the week looks pretty dry and mild much like we had before this latest period of rain.

Considering how warm we have been this first third of February (mean of 2.5C, highs of 5.8C) and looking at the outlook for the rest of the month, I wouldn’t be surprised if we ended up with a warmer February than 2011 (1.9C and 5.6C). That, of course, would blow the frigid winter projections right out of the water… but lets not count our chickens until they are hatched. Such is life in a world of changing climate.

6 thoughts on “The Winter of Uncertainty

  1. I would like to formally request a few more days like today. It was spectacular with the sunshine and blue sky!

  2. Screw the sunshine, we need more snow.  After Monday and Tuesdays helicopter flights for work purposes, there is not nearly enough snow pack.  I could see severe watering restrictions this summer.

  3. Don’t look now, but I think winter is going to make a big comeback in the 6-10 day range.  The Euro, which is the best model,  Has been crazy cold for many model runs.  Wouldn’t be surprised if the ground is white with overnight lows in the -5 to -10 range in a week from now.  I hope I didn’t just jinx this event.  I have been watching it develop for the last 5 days or so, and it looks more likely now than ever.  The only model that gives me concern was the GEM tonight, it wasn’t the best setup to get overly cold on the coast.  Sticking with the Euro for now, it has been the best model in recent weeks,  and is the highest rated model overall.

Comments are closed.