Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

Forecast Issued 4:00 PM PDT Sunday 20 April 2014 - Sunday night: Rain. Low 6. Monday: Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers changing to 70 percent chance of showers late in the afternoon. High 11. UV index 3 or moderate. Monday night: Cloudy. 70 percent chance of showers changing to 30 percent chance of showers near midnight. Low plus 4. Tuesday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 14. Wednesday: A mix of sun and cloud. Low plus 4. High 12. Thursday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 6. High 13. Friday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 6. High 12.

8.0°C ↔
Hour Change: -0.2°C Alberniweather Web Cam
ENE 2.0km/h
gusts to 0.0km/h

Last Update: Apr 20 2014 - 21:30:10 PDT
  • Port Alberni
    Weather
  • Barometer
    102.08kPa ↓
    Humidity
    97%
    Dewpoint
    7.6°C
  • Solar Radiation
    0W/m2
    UV Index
    0.0
    Solar Power Potential
    0Wh
    Wind Power
    0W/m-2
  • British Columbia
    Conditions
  • Current Rain Rate
    0.00mm/hr
    Heat Index
    N/A°C
    Wind Chill
    N/A°C
  • Todays Rain
    4.57mm
    Cloud Base
    118.9m
    Air Density
    1.260kg/m3
     
     
  • Lows
  • Temperature
    4.78°C @ 04:11: Tdy.
    Barometer
    101.69kPa @ 22:00: Ystd
    Dewpoint
    4.34°C @ 04:11: Tdy.
    Humidity
    68% @ 12:23: Tdy.
    ------- -------
    ------- -------
  • Wind Chill
    4.01°C @ 02:15: Tdy.
  • Highs
  • Temperature
    11.50°C @ 11:50: Tdy.
    Barometer
    102.4kPa @ 08:44: Tdy.
    Dewpoint
    8.38°C @ 10:43: Tdy.
    Humidity
    99% @ 08:00: Tdy.
    ------- -------
    ------- -------
  • Wind Day Average
    2.7km/h
    Wind Gust
    S 29.0km/h @ 14:00: Tdy.
    ------- -------
    ------- -------
  • Rain Rate
    1.27mm/hr @ 18:42: Tdy.
    Heat Index
    11.50°C @ 11:50: Tdy.
    Solar
    673W/m2 @ 14:03: Tdy.
    UV
    4.1 @ 14:02: Tdy.
     
     
     
     
     
     

Hot spot weekend. Red Moon Tonight

It was a fantastic weekend of sunny weather. I’m probably not the only one that got a bit of colour on my cheeks from it. We also competed for hotspot in BC. Our official high of 18.6°C on Saturday lost out to Cultis Lake but on Sunday we reached 20.9°C which was a new short term daily record at the airport beating 17.8°C set in 2000.

20140414-065918.jpg

In fact there were a number of records broken yesterday all over the province some as far back as 1992 at Agassiz and Saturna Capmon and others from 1995 in Dease Lake and 1998 at Estevan Point and West Vancouver.

So it was definitely warm for April 13th.

It won’t be quite as warm today. It should be nice most of the day and should reach around 15°C depending how much cloud rolls in in the afternoon.

We should stay dry today but Tuesday morning and afternoon we will see some light showers amounting to just a couple millimetres.

20140414-071202.jpg

More significant rainfall will come Thursday morning. I will address that tomorrow.

Red Moon – Lunar Eclipse Tonight

If we are lucky and the clouds are not too widespread then make sure you check out the moon when it rises over Mt. Arrowsmith after sundown. There will be a lunar eclipse tonight, when the moon slides through the Earth’s Shadow.

The moon will start to enter the earths shadow, and turn red, at 10:20PM (PDT). It will be partially eclipsed by 10:58PM and fully eclipsed, almost totally black, at 12:07AM and then it will start to emerge again.

Will we see it? Well we will have to be lucky to see the beginning but we should be better for the end if you are willing to stay up for it. The models say there will be clouds moving over us all day but there could be a break in around 8PM.

20140414-072239.jpg

By 11PM the back end of the front is visible just to the west of us. So if this moves through a little quicker than predicted we could see almost the whole eclipse.

20140414-072516.jpg

By 2AM it is pretty clear, so barring any fog you will be able to see the red moon as it exits the shadows.

20140414-072520.jpg

Happy Red Moon Monday!

Posted: April 14th, 2014 07:04 under Astronomy, General, Hot

« Previous Entries Next Entries »

Post a Comment »

Your Business Advertisement could be here

Here comes the sun!

It’s going to be a fantastic weekend. This morning’s clouds and light rain will clear this afternoon and we should get up to around 15° C.

On Saturday and Sunday though it’s going to be really great. So great in fact that Environment Canada has issued a Special Weather Statement alerting us to just how great it will be (and also how it will come to a quick end on Monday with showers).

The clear skies at night (perfect for checking out a very bright Mars!) will mean temperatures will be cool so the mornings will start with probably some low cloud until around 11AM or Noon. Then it will burn off and heat up.

Saturday should top out over 15°C.
20140411-065609.jpg

Sunday should approach 18-19°C.

20140411-065615.jpg
The normal high for this time of year is around 14°C.

Enjoy your weekend!

P.S. I just looked up Environment Canada’s criteria for Special Weather Statements. I’ve bolded what would likely be their justification. Basically, just because it is a pleasant forecast, doesn’t mean it isn’t somewhat unusual or ‘not so common’.

Ultimately, Special Weather Statements are intended to advise the media and the public of not so common, inconvenient, or unusual weather conditions, or for the longer term potential development of hazardous weather conditions.

Posted: April 11th, 2014 07:04 under General, Hot

« Previous Entries Next Entries »

Post a Comment »

Your Business Advertisement could be here


Weather Data Powered by Davis Vantage Pro and weather server.

Port Alberni, BC – Central Vancouver Island Weather Conditions is proudly powered by WordPress
Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS). 48 queries. 1.365 seconds.


Citrus County - Aquariums - Costa Rica - Renegade Motorhome