Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

Forecast Issued 4:00 PM PDT Saturday 19 April 2014 - Saturday night: Periods of rain ending this evening then cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low plus 4. Sunday: Periods of rain. Amount 5 to 10 mm. High 9. Sunday night: Periods of rain. Amount 10 to 20 mm. Low 6. Monday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 13. Tuesday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 7. High 13. Wednesday: Cloudy. Low plus 4. High 12. Thursday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 7. High 13.

9.3°C ↓
Hour Change: -0.3°C Alberniweather Web Cam
SSW 7.0km/h
gusts to 11.0km/h

Last Update: Apr 19 2014 - 17:59:10 PDT
  • Port Alberni
    Weather
  • Barometer
    101.14kPa ↑
    Humidity
    91%
    Dewpoint
    7.9°C
  • Solar Radiation
    51W/m2
    UV Index
    0.0
    Solar Power Potential
    5.4Wh
    Wind Power
    5W/m-2
  • British Columbia
    Conditions
  • Current Rain Rate
    4.06mm/hr
    Heat Index
    N/A°C
    Wind Chill
    7.6°C
  • Todays Rain
    4.32mm
    Cloud Base
    341.1m
    Air Density
    1.243kg/m3
     
     
  • Lows
  • Temperature
    2.44°C
    April 14, 2014 06:04
    Barometer
    1004.60kPa
    April 17, 2014 15:04
    Dewpoint
    1.39°C
    April 14, 2014 05:04
    Humidity
    38.00%
    April 14, 2014 13:04
  • Wind Chill
    2.31°C
    April 18, 2014 04:04
  • Highs
  • Temperature
    17.56°C
    April 14, 2014 13:04
    Barometer
    1022.89kPa
    April 14, 2014 01:04
    Dewpoint
    10.68°C
    April 16, 2014 12:04
    Humidity
    99.00%
    April 18, 2014 09:04
  • Wind Sustained
    40.23km/h
    April 14, 2014 17:04
    Wind Gust
    41.84km/h
    April 14, 2014 17:04
    Heat Index
    17.56°C
    April 14, 2014 13:04
    Solar
    944.00W/m2
    April 15, 2014 12:04
    UV
    5.00
    April 14, 2014 13:04
    Rain Rate
    12.45mm/hr
    April 17, 2014 16:04

Rain through Thursday – Easter Egg Hunt Forecast

Spring showers are back and that’s not a bad thing. I’ve turned off the spigots on my water barrels so that instead of acting as flood and runoff mitigators (which they do very well) they will now actually collect water in preparation for the dry season. I think it takes about 50mm of rain to fill my three barrels (150 gallons).

We should get around 30mm by the time this bout of rain stops early Friday morning.

20140416-065204.jpg

We should get another 10-15mm from Saturday afternoon through the night before it tapers to showers Easter Sunday and dry in the morning of Easter Monday. Then yet another bout of rain will swoop in for the afternoon of Monday.

So this will be a growing weekend for the garden and a mostly indoor time for gatherings with family. If you are looking to do an Easter egg hunt outside on Sunday or Monday your best bet will be in the morning.

Posted: April 16th, 2014 07:04 under General, Wet

« Previous Entries

Post a Comment »

Your Business Advertisement could be here

Patience rewarded! Blood Moon captured on webcam, Timelapse Included

Updated: Timelapse now included! (Make sure you set it to HD quality, makes a huge difference… use the little gear icon to change it)

It was a tough road last night… And I’m working on only about 4.5 hours sleep, so if this post is a little incoherent, blame it on the Moon. :)

It started out really quite bleak. The clouds were coming and going… Mostly coming. The moon was teasing us as it came and went behind the cloud and slowly dimmed from about 10:30PM onward.. Ironically, as I posted a few pics of the peekaboo moon, other folks on twitter from Victoria and Vancouver tuned in, since their skies were apparently completely covered.

Then, around 11:30AM things started to change. Now an hour into the eclipse the moon was dimming but was not yet red.

Here’s the Timelapse! To see it in HD click the little gear icon. Make sure it has a red “HD” on it.

Click the images to see full size.

20140415-071620.jpg

By Midnight the clouds truly gave way and we were rewarded for our patience with a spectacular display of the reddening and darkening moon flanked on the right by the bright star Spica and above by Mars.

20140415-071628.jpg

20140415-071634.jpg

I had to adjust my webcam in order to capture the trio together and got a few fun shots. Having that webcam really payed off.

20140415-071649.jpg

By 12:30AM the moon was nearly fully eclipsed and the skies were clear not just in Port Alberni but around much of the Central and North Island. We woke our kids out of bed to see this, of course it was more impressive by the human eye than this images does justice.

By almost 1AM the view was perfect.

20140415-071801.jpg

Here is a shot from a friend in Nanaimo around the same time. Simply beautiful.

20140415-071723.jpg

Because the event spanned both yesterday and today I will need to do a little extra work to grab the proper images for the timelapse. I should have it done later this morning and will post it when I do.

It was a great night… The bleary eye and foggy head was definitely worth it.

As for the forecast. Only a very slight chance of showers this morning. But rain should move in by 5PM today and continue almost straight through Thursday.

Posted: April 15th, 2014 07:04 under Astronomy, Wet

« Previous Entries

1 Comment Posted »

Your Business Advertisement could be here


Weather Data Powered by Davis Vantage Pro and weather server.

Port Alberni, BC – Central Vancouver Island Weather Conditions is proudly powered by WordPress
Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS). 47 queries. 1.560 seconds.


Citrus County - Guitar Lessons - Costa Rica - Renegade Motorhome