The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for February 2020
Especially compared to last year’s exceptionally long cold snap that produced nine daily records at the Airport (though none All Time), this year was normal, and a little boring especially after the first week of wind and snow. Both the Airport and the City stations were just 0.1ºC above the average for their areas, essentially average!
The Airport set one new high on February 11th and one new rainfall record on February 23, but neither were all-time highs.
Rainfall lower than normal
Rain, or lack thereof, was the more important measure this month as the Airport and City stations only received 30% and 40% of their normal February rainfall.
We had a few less days of rain across all amounts.
A little snow.
We did get some snow on the 4th. It led to a fair amount of mess on the highways and some varying amounts across the Island but especially on the north end.
Snowpack a little low
The current snowpack data from March 1 indicates Vancouver Island is at an average of 82%. Not a bad number considering past years. There is still a chance that could improve a little with the weather coming over the next few days but we should generally assume that the snowpack has finished growing and we will now get into spring freshet. It’s a better position that it has been.
End of Summary. Data and detail below.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
Two high rain records set. Neither eclipsed all time highs for the day.
- Feb 11 high temp 9.9ºC: #1 is 12.2ºC at Beaver Creek in 1907 and 1913.
- Feb 23 high rain 26.5 mm: #1 is 73.0mm at Port Alberni City in 1946.
February 2020 City Station Data Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 0.8º C, 3.7º C, 7.9º C, 105.7 mm , SSW 75.6 kph on 1st
- Alberni Elem. : 0.6º C, 3.6º C, 7.8º C, 127.0 mm, SSW 53 kph on 1st
- Maquinna Elem.: NA****
- Neptune: 1.0º C, 3.6º C, 7.8º C, NA*** , SSW 10 kph on 1st
- Nick’s (Maq area): 0.6º C, 3.2º C, 6.6º C, 94.4 mm, SSE 40.7 kph on 1st
Monthly City and Airport Values
Compared to Normal
Differences from Normal at the Airport (Valley)
-0.3° C, +0.1º C, +0.4º C, -229.3 mm (32%)
This Month’s Values
- Airport* : -0.9º C, 3.1º C, 7.0° C, 110.2 mm*, ESE 65 kph on 15th.
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): -0.6º C, 3.0º C 6.6° C, 339.5 mm
Differences from Normal in the City (Sea Level)
+0.7° C, +0.1º C, +0.4º C, -163.5 mm (40%)
This Month’s Values
- City Stations Average: 0.8º C, 3.5º C, 7.5º C, 109.0 mm
- Normal 1971-2000 (Prt Alb A (Somass)): 0.1º C, 3.6º C 7.1° C, 272.5 mm
Official Days of Precipitation at Airport*
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 17.2 : 15
>= 5 mm: 10.2 : 7
>= 10 mm: 7.5 : 5
>= 25 mm: 3.2 : 1
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca or Missing Data (January 2020) **^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport. ** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures. ***Rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline. ****Nick's data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)) ^Estimated amount, as new rain gauge installed on the 7th, used Alberni Elementary totals before that date.