The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for February 2019
Catching up on this month… this post was actually written January 7 2020 but is back-dated so it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. 🙂
This month was notable for its long cold stretches. It was in fact quite a cold month with averages 2-3º C below normal. However, even though 9 records were set at the Airport, none of them took all-time marks for the day.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
Many record low temperatures. No others. 9 records lows in all but none eclipsed an all time.
- Feb 4 low temp -8.4º C: #1 is -14.4º C at Beaver Creek in 1929.
- Feb 5 low temp -9.8º C: #1 is -13.5º C at Robertson Creek in 1989.
- Feb 6 low temp -9.3º C: #1 is -12.8º C at Beaver Creek in 1929.
- Feb 10 low temp -11.2º C: #1 is -11.1º C at Beaver Creek in 1929.
- Feb 11 low temp -13.9º C: #1 is -12.2º C at Beaver Creek in 1949.
- Feb 13 low temp -8.2º C: #1 is -11.1º C at Beaver Creek in 1936.
- Feb 14 low temp -10.2º C: #1 is -11.7º C at Beaver Creek in 1936.
- Feb 26 low temp -8.9º C: #1 is -11.7º C at Robertson Creek in 1962.
- Feb 27 low temp -7.7º C: #1 is -9.4º C at Beaver Creek in 1951/1955.
February 2019 City Station Data Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather (Days): -2.9º C, 0.5º C, 4.8º C, NA*** , NNE 55 kph, 3rd
- Alberni Elem. : NA*****
- Maquinna.: -2.5º C, 0.4º C, 4.5º C, 81.3 mm, N 27 kph, 3rd
- Neptune: -2.3º C, 0.7º C, 5.3º C, NA*** , E 10 kph, 4th
- Nick’s (Maq area): -2.8º C, 0.0º C, 3.7º C, 52.0 mm, NNE 39 kph, 3rd
***Alberniweather rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline. *****Nick’s data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)).
Monthly City and Airport Compared to Normal
Differences from Normal at Airport (Valley)
- Airport* : -5.5º C, 0.6º C, 4.4° C, 77.8 mm, NNW 30 kph on 9th.
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): -0.6º C, 3.0º C 6.6° C, 239.6 mm
- Diff. from normal: -4.9° C, -2.4º C, -2.2º C, -161.8 mm (32.5%)
Differences from Normal in City (Sea Level)
- City Stations Average: -2.6º C, 0.4º C, 4.6º C, 66.7 mm
- Normal 1971-2000 (Prt Alb A (Somass)): 0.1º C, 3.6º C 7.1° C, 260.1 mm
- Diff. from normal: -2.5° C, -3.2º C, -2.5º C, -193.4 mm, (25.6%)
Official Days of Precipitation at Airport*
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 17.2 : 12
>= 5 mm: 10.2 : 5
>= 10 mm: 7.5 : 2
>= 25 mm: 3.2 : 1
* Is Compared to Robertson Creek 1981-2010 Normal - May use backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca to fill in missing reported days at Airport. **^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport. ** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.