May 30, 2020

Alberni airport lowest since 1995 this morning. Chance of flurry Thursday.

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 11:00 AM PDT Saturday 30 May 2020 - Saturday: Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. High 20. UV index 3 or moderate. Saturday night: Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. Low 11. Sunday: Cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers in the morning. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud in the afternoon. High 18. UV index 6 or high. Sunday night: Cloudy periods. Low 7. Monday: Sunny. High 21. Monday night: Clear. Low 8. Tuesday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 21. Tuesday night: Cloudy. Low 9. Wednesday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 17. Wednesday night: Cloudy periods. Low 9. Thursday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 17. Thursday night: Cloudy periods. Low 9. Friday: Cloudy. High 15.

Only tiny chance of it sticking at lower elevations.

Don’t get too excited by the mention of flurries in the forecast. The models have a very meager bit of moisture coming in off the Pacific starting overnight and through Thursday.

The model does not have any moisture falling at low elevations before 4PM Thursday.

Precipitation, including snow, will fall over the mountain ranges Wednesday evening and through the day Thursday.

Rain Scale – Millimeters on top, centi-inches on bottom. (1024cin = 10 inches)

Just one millimetre of precipitation is expected in the Alberni Valley, most of this will actually fall Thursday night. It may be a shower or a flurry.

Once the system passes on Friday we should clear back up and get back to sunny, dry and cool weather for the weekend.

Not even close to a long term low temperature record.

The Airport is reporting -6.6°C as the low this morning.

That is a record low for the airport station since 1995. Its previous low was -6.2°C in 2012.

However, it is not a record low for the Valley. It is 0.1° away from the record low reported by WXAlmanac for this day set in 1975, likely from the Somass River station.

It is quite a ways from the all station record for this day set in 1951 at the City of Port Alberni station of -11.7°C.

I will post again on friday with a weekend and early week forecast! Happy Hump Day!