April 18, 2016

Scorching April heat will break multiple day records for 2nd straight year and challenge hottest ever.

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 4:00 PM PST Tuesday 25 February 2020 - Tuesday night: Periods of rain ending this evening then cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low plus 2. Wednesday: Cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers early in the morning. 60 percent chance of showers late in the afternoon. High 8. UV index 1 or low. Wednesday night: Rain. Low plus 4. Thursday: Periods of rain. High 8. Thursday night: Periods of rain. Low plus 3. Friday: Cloudy. High 9. Friday night: Rain. Low plus 2. Saturday: Rain. High 6. Saturday night: Cloudy periods. Low plus 1. Sunday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 8. Sunday night: Periods of rain. Low plus 3. Monday: Periods of rain. High 8.

  • Current Conditions
    Temperature
    3.9° C
    0.0 ° C/hr
    Barometer
    103.14 kPa
    0.0
    Wind
    N/A 0 km/h
    gusting 0 km/h
    Humidity
    96 %
    Rain Rate
    0.0 mm/hr
    Wind Chill
    3.9° C
    Heat Index
    3.9° C
    Dewpoint
    3.4° C
    UV
    0.0
    Solar
    0 W/m2
    Last Updated: 1:20:00 PST
    Click to Refresh or See All Conditions
  • Today's Almanac
    Rain since Midnight
    0.0 mm
    Continuous Rainfall (< 24hr gap)
    0.8 mm since
    February 25, 2020 00:02
    Civil Rise
    06:35
    Moon Phase
    Waxing crescent (7% full)
    Civil Set
    18:29
    Day Length
    12:32:07
    Day High
    4.0° C @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day Low
    3.9° C @ 00:32 Tdy.
    Day High Rain Rate
    0.0mm/hr00:00
    Day High Barometer
    103.14 kPa @ 00:14 Tdy.
    Day Low Barometer
    103.13 kPa @ 00:44 Tdy.
    Day Low Windchill
    3.9° C @ 00:32 Tdy.
    Day High Heat Index
    4.0° C @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day High Wind Gust
    S 0km/h @ 00:05 Tdy.
    Day High Solar Radiation
    0W/m2 @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day High UV Index
    0.0 @ 00:00 Tdy.

Update 2PM – Morning model run moderates

The morning UWash model run was a little warmer for this afternoon… up to 26ºC.  We’ll see if we get there. The Airport has blown through last years record and is currently at 25ºC.  It will not get past the all time 28ºC record.

The UWash model is less crazy tomorrow.  With only similar temperatures of 25-26ºC but then stronger heat on Wednesday likely over 28ºC but cooling Thursday.

We’ll see!

_____________

All of the forecasts agree that we are in for some record breaking temperatures in the next three days.

It starts today when we should warm quickly as the sun rises over the mountain.

image

Highs are in the orange 24-26°C range (76-80°F) this afternoon which jives with ECs 25°C forecast.  I heard on the radio this morning that it is already 15°C at Victoria harbour.  They are forecast to get as high as 28°C.  This would meet the all time all station high for the day of 28.3°C set in 1934 at the Port Alberni city station.

Tuesday is going to be even hotter.

image

Temperatures in the Valley are to be between 26-28°C (80-84°F). Which again jives with ECs 26°C forecast. It is not quite as hot on the east and south parts of the Island.  The record for the 19th is 29.4°C set in 1934.

On Wednesday the forecasts diverge a bit.

image

UWash has us cooling us down a bit to between 22-24°C, and even cooler on the West Coast, but Environment Canada has us staying very hot at 29°C.  We will see how that pans out.  There is a lot of disagreement for the end of the work week so we will just wait for a bit for that. The record for the 20th is 30.6°C again set in 1934.

It is worth noting that the ‘normal’ extreme high temperature is around 22-25°C for this time of year.  It is also worth noting that we set new record short term highs at the Airport on April 17, 18 and 19 last year.  We broke that April 17 airport record set last year again yesterday and will break the 18th, 19th and 20th this year.

Happy Monday, don’t forget your sunscreen and shades!