Update as of 4PM- Restrictions Have Been Lifted
The City has informed everyone that all repairs are complete. All Restrictions lifted.
UPDATE 1PM Friday
The City has released the following update:
As long as there are no unforeseen setbacks on site, the City anticipates the waterline will be
fully repaired today by the end of day. Water restrictions are still in place, and the City
appreciates residents going above and beyond to limit their use to essential water use only.
You can see more at the link.
Check City of Port Alberni and ACRD for updates
If you have the Voyent Alert app on your phone like me then you were also greeted with a very loud alarm. The issue impacts all users of the City’s water supply including Tseshaht, Hupacasath, Beaver Creek and others. Water *quality* is not impacted.
Here is the statement from the City website:
Stage 3 Water Restrictions Currently in Effect
An accident on Franklin River Road has damaged the City of Port Alberni’s main water supply line. As a result, the City of Port Alberni and the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District have activated the Emergency Operations Centre and are asking residents to limit water use until further notice in order that best use is made of the water in City reservoirs
The City and the ACRD have implemented Stage 3 water restrictions effective immediately for City of Port Alberni, Hupacasath First Nation, Tseshaht First Nation, and the Beaver Creek Water Local Service Area, and the Franklin River Road area. Water quality is unaffected by this incident, and the water continues to be safe for consumption, however, the City of Port Alberni asks that water use during this time be limit to essential use. For info on water restrictions visit: www.portalberni.ca/water-restrictions.
For more information on the various stages, please see below.
What is Stage 3?
I find the graphic a little confusing so here is what IS PROHIBITED.
- New plants/shrubs: All forms of watering using treated drinking water are prohibited.
- Existing plants/shrubs: EVEN-numbered address can sprinkle on Saturdays, 6-9 am or 6-9 pm. ODD-numbered addresses can sprinkle on Sundays, 6-9 am or 6-9 pm
- Veggie Gardens: Watering must be done by hand using a spring-loaded shut-off nozzle or bucket , 6-9 am or 6-9 pm. 2 hours per day maximum, any day.
- Pools/Spas/etc: Refilling is prohibited.
- Residential washing cars/boats/driveways/etc.: All forms of washing using treated drinking water are prohibited.