The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for October 2019
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1995 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
Multiple cold temperature records were set this month at the Airport including two All Time records set on October 9th, 10th. One precipitation record was set.
- October 1 cold temp -0.5ºC: #1 is -5.0ºC at Beaver Creek in 1950.
- NEW ALL TIME RECORD October 9 cold temp -3.9ºC:
Beats -1.7ºC at Beaver Creek in 1919. (Cox Lake South of Port Alberni also beat that record with -2.0 ºC)
- NEW ALL TIME RECORD October 10 cold temp -3.5ºC:
Beats -2.8 ºC at Beaver Creek in 1944.
- October 11 cold temp -2.0ºC: #1 is -3.3 ºC at Port Alberni A (Somass) in and Robertson Creek in 1972.
- October 15 precip 20.7 mm: #1 is 68.8 mm at Beaver Creek in 1927.
- October 26 cold temp -1.9ºC: #1 is -5.6 ºC at Port Alberni in 1919.
- October 27 cold temp -3.2ºC: #1 is -5.6 ºC at Port Alberni in 1946.
- October 28 cold temp -2.6ºC: #1 is -6.1 ºC at Port Alberni in 1952.
October 2019 City Station Data Comparisons
Minimum, Mean, and High Average Temp, Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 5.0º C, 8.9º C, 14.1º C, NA mm , S 46.7 kph on 25th
- Alberni Elem. : 4.7º C, 8.7º C, 13.8º C, 153.1 mm, S 30 kph on 7th
- Maquinna Elem.: NA**
- Nick’s (Maq area): 5.0º C, 8.2º C, 12.2 C, 118.2 mm, SSE 33 kph on 25th
*Alberniweather rain gauge low battery. **Maquinna station offline. ***Nick’s data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)).
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages and Normals
- City Average: 4.9º C, 8.8º C, 13.4º C, 135.7 mm
- Airport* : 2.8º C, 8.1º C, 13.4° C, 148.4 mm, NW 44kph on 8th
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): 5.0º C, 9.8º C 14.4° C, 219.8 mm
Differences from Normal
- City -0.1° C, -1.0º C, -1.0º C, -83.3 mm, (61.7% of normal)
- Official Airport -2.2° C, -1.7º C, -1.0º C, -71.4 mm (68% of normal)
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 17.3 : 15
>= 5 mm: 9.1 : 10
>= 10 mm: 6.5 : 6
>= 25 mm: 3.1 : 1
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.