The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for March 2020
If we compare to last year’s long warm month, this year seemed quite cold. The Airport set 4 new low temperature records but none were all time records. More impressively, March 16 saw both a cold, and warm temperature record set at the Airport. Again though, neither were all time, though the low temperature came within .2ºC of a tie.
Rainfall lower than normal again
Once again we had much lower rainfall than normal at between 30-40%. There were no days with more than 25mm while a normal March would have at least two.
We had a few less days of rain across all amounts.
The snowpack at March 1 had the measurement at Jump Creek (east of Nanaimo) at 77%. On April 1, it was 78%, good news. Overall the stations on Vancouver Island went from 78% to 95%. Again we’re in pretty reasonable shape for the summer months. Some much needed good news!
End of Summary. Data and detail below.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
Four low temp records including one with a high temp on the same day. None eclipsed all time highs or lows for the day.
- Mar 14 low temp -3.2ºC: #1 is -9.4ºC at Beaver Creek in 1906.
- Mar 15 low temp -7.2ºC: #1 is -10.6ºC at Beaver Creek in 1906.
- Mar 16 low temp -7.0ºC: #1 is -7.2ºC at Beaver Creek in 1906 and 1951.
- Mar 16 high temp 15.8ºC: #1 is 23.3ºC at Beaver Creek in 1947.
- Mar 18 low temp -4.5ºC: #1 is -7.2ºC at Beaver Creek and Port Alberni in 1943.
City Station Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 1.2º C, 5.1º C, 10.5º C, 78.0 mm , S 45.1 kph on 3rd
- Alberni Elem. : 0.9º C, 5.0º C, 10.3º C, 99.6 mm, SSW 35 kph on 3rd
- Maquinna Elem.: NA****
- Neptune: 1.5º C, 5.2º C, 10.8º C, NA*** , 8 kph on Various
- Nick’s (Maq area): 1.0º C, 4.5º C, 9.2º C, 82.4 mm, NNE 37.0 kph on 28th
City and Airport
Compared to Normal
Differences from Normal at the Airport (Valley)
-1.9° C, -1.4º C, -0.7º C, -147.0 mm (34%)
This Month’s Values
- Airport* : -1.2º C, 4.3º C, 9.8° C, 76.8 mm*, NNW 34 kph on 13th.
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): 0.7º C, 5.7º C 10.5° C, 223.8 mm
Differences from Normal in the City (Sea Level)
+0.3° C, -0.9º C, -0.6º C, -117.2 mm (43%)
This Month’s Values
- City Stations Average: 1.2º C, 5.0º C, 10.2º C, 86.7 mm
- Normal 1971-2000 (Prt Alb A (Somass)): 0.9º C, 5.9º C 10.8° C, 203.9 mm
Official Days of Precipitation at Airport*
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 18.2 : 14
>= 5 mm: 9.9 : 4
>= 10 mm: 6.4 : 3
>= 25 mm: 2.4 : 0
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca or Missing Data (January 2020) **^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport. ** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures. ***Rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline. ****Nick's data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)) ^Estimated amount, as new rain gauge installed on the 7th, used Alberni Elementary totals before that date.