The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for June 2019
Catching up on this month… this post was actually written January 1 2020 but is back-dated so it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. 🙂
This was a pretty active month with a couple new high temperatures for the airport as well as two rain records. There was also a pretty good lightning storm!
Temperatures were significantly higher at the Airport than they were in town likely due to some foggy days where the Airport cleared. That is why officially the average temperature was 1.6º C above normal. Rainfall was below normal.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
We set two high temperature records at the Airport including one that made a 3-way tie for June 12 at 34.4 with the stations at both Beaver Creek and Port Alberni in 1932. There were also two rain records, one came very close to eclipsing the all time record set in 1949.
- June 11 high temp 31.1º C: #1 is 35.0º C at Port Alberni in 1932.
- June 12 TIED ALL TIME high temp 34.4º C: 3rd tied reading on this day with Beaver Creek and Port Alberni City in 1932.
- June 19 high rain 18.0 mm: #1 is 30.0 mm at Beaver Creek in 1900.
- June 27 high rain 15.7 mm: #1 is 16.0 mm at Port Alberni in 1949.
June 2019 City Station Data Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 11.2º C, 16.6º C, 20.3º C, NA*** , S 46.7 kph on 13th
- Alberni Elem. : NA*****
- Maquinna Elem.: 10.9º C, 16.2º C, 22.7º C, 42.2 mm, N 29.0 kph on 13th
- Nick’s (Maq area): 10.7º C, 16.1º C, 22.3º C, 31.2 mm, N 35.1 kph on 13th
***Alberniweather rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline. *****Nick’s data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)).
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages and Normals
- City Average: 10.9º C, 16.3º C, 21.8º C, 36.7 mm
- Airport* : 8.6º C, 15.9º C, 23.1° C, 38.7 mm, ESE 40 kph on 27th
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): 9.0º C, 15.5º C 21.9° C, 62.2 mm
Differences from Normal
- City +1.9° C, +0.8º C, -0.1º C, -20.0 mm, (67.8% of normal)
- Official Airport +1.3° C, +1.6º C, +3.4º C, -23.5 mm (62.2% of normal)
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 13.1 : 7
>= 5 mm: 4.2 : 2
>= 10 mm: 1.7 : 2
>= 25 mm: 0.36 : 0
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.