The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for July 2020
July 2020 was extremely dry with under 10mm falling at the Airport or in the City. While July is traditionally dry, this was just 1/4 of the normal amount of precipitation. That said, aside from morning lows in the City, temperatures we’re fairly normal particularly on the high end.
We did set two new marks at the Airport one for a high and one for a low temperature.
Notable throughout the month was the lack of a real sunny stretch until the latter half of the month. Despite the gloom, it did not produce significant rainfall.
Story of the Month
Certainly the low rainfall and lack of real summer weather until July 20 when it finally felt like the start of summer had come.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
Just two new marks were set at the Airport. Neither approached all time records for the day. A high temp was set on July 20 followed by a low on the 25th.
- July 20 high temp 33.9º C: #1 is 37.8º C at Beaver Creek in 1908.
- July 25 low temp 7.8º C: #1 is 3.3º C at Robertson Creek in 1910.
City Station Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 13.3 ºC, 18.7 ºC, 24.8 ºC, 5.6 mm , SSW 48.3 kph on 31st
- Alberni Elem. : 12.8 ºC, 18.4 ºC, 24.4 ºC, 8.6 mm, SE 31 kph on 23rd
- Maquinna Elem.: 13.0 ºC, 18.2 ºC, 24.3 ºC, 9.1 mm, – 28 kph on multiple
- Neptune: NA*~
- Nick’s (Maq area): 13.0 ºC, 18.1 ºC, 23.7 ºC, 7.4 mm, – 33.3 kph on 31st
City and Airport
Compared to Normal
Differences from Normal (1971-2000) in the City
+2.7° C, +1.1º C, +0.1 ºC, -19.4 mm (28%)
This Month’s Average City Values
- City Stations Average: 13.0º C, 18.4º C, 24.3º C, 7.7 mm
- Normal 1971-2000 (Prt Alb A (Somass)): 10.3º C, 17.3º C 24.2° C, 27.1 mm
Differences from Normal (1981-2010) at the Airport
+0.1° C, -0.4º C, -0.7º C, -23.9 mm (23%)
This Month’s Average Airport Values
- Airport : 11.0º C, 17.9º C, 24.9° C, 7.1 mm, ESE 34 kph on 21st.
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrtsn Creek): 10.9º C, 18.3º C 25.6° C, 31 mm
Official Days of Precipitation at Airport*
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 8.1 : 6
>= 5 mm: 2 : 0
>= 10 mm: 0.8 : 0
>= 25 mm: 0.12 : 0
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca or Missing Data (January 2020) **^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport. ** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures. ***Rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline. *~: Neptune station missing data from 21st onward. ^Estimated amount, as new rain gauge installed on the 7th, used Alberni Elementary totals before that date.