The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for July 2019
Catching up on this month… this post was actually written January 1 2020 but is back-dated so it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. 🙂
This was a pretty average month both for temperature and for rain. We got 40mm of rain in town but only 19mm at the Airport, average that out and you’re close to right on the average of 30mm. No high temperature records were set but 4 low temperatures were which likely indicates it felt kind of cool, especially after the past few years of fires in the province.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
One daily high rain and three daily low temperature records set. Neither record beat the all time high for stations in the valley.
- July 17 high rain 2.4 mm (shared with 2013): #1 is 21.1 mm at Port Alberni in 1955.
- July 18 low temp 7.1º C: #1 is 1.7º C at Beaver Creek in 1910.
- July 20 low temp 6.6º C: #1 is 4.4º C at Beaver Creek in 1914 and 1923.
- July 21 low temp 7.6º C: #1 is 3.9º C at Beaver Creek in 1922.
July 2019 City Station Data Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 13.8º C, 18.5 C, 24.2º C, NA*** , S 53.1 kph on 17th
- Alberni Elem. : 13.5º C, 18.3º C, 24.0º C, 40.1 mm, SSE 32 kph on 17th
- Maquinna Elem.: NA****
- Nick’s (Maq area): 13.4º C, 17.9º C, 23.6º C, 23.4 mm, 31.4 kph on 23rd and 26th.
***Alberniweather rain gauge faulty. ****Maquinna station offline. *****Nick’s data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)).
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages and Normals
- City Average: 13.6º C, 18.2º C, 23.9º C, 31.8 mm
- Airport* : 11.6º C, 17.8º C, 24.0° C, 19.3 mm, NNW 24 kph on 27th
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): 10.9º C, 18.3º C 25.6° C, 31.0 mm
Differences from Normal
- City +2.7° C, -0.1º C, -1.7º C, +0.8 mm, (102.5% of normal)
- Official Airport +0.7º C, -0.5º C, -1.6º C, +11.7 mm (62.3% of normal)
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 8.1 : 8
>= 5 mm: 2.0 : 1
>= 10 mm: 0.8 : 0
>= 25 mm: 0.12 : 0
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.