Mon. Sep 16th, 2019

Few Showers today – then Warming back up.

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 11:00 AM PDT Monday 16 September 2019 - Monday: Mainly cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. High 17. UV index 4 or moderate. Monday night: Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers this evening. Rain beginning near midnight. Low 12. Tuesday: Rain ending in the morning then cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. High 16. UV index 2 or low. Tuesday night: Cloudy with 70 percent chance of showers. Low 11. Wednesday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 21. Wednesday night: Cloudy periods. Low 9. Thursday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 19. Thursday night: Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. Low 12. Friday: Cloudy. High 22. Friday night: Cloudy periods. Low 12. Saturday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 19. Saturday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 12. Sunday: Cloudy. High 18.

  • Current Conditions
    17.9° C
    -0.4 ° C/hr
    100.79 kPa
    S 3 km/h
    gusting 10 km/h
    65 %
    Rain Rate
    0.0 mm/hr
    Wind Chill
    17.9° C
    Heat Index
    17.9° C
    11.3° C
    343 W/m2
    Last Updated: 15:10:00 PDT
    Click to Refresh or See All Conditions
  • Today's Almanac
    Rain since Midnight
    0.0 mm
    Continuous Rainfall (< 24hr gap)
    30.2 mm since
    September 12, 2019 00:09
    Civil Rise
    Moon Phase
    Waning gibbous (93% full)
    Civil Set
    Day Length
    Day High
    19.2° C @ 13:09 Tdy.
    Day Low
    9.6° C @ 02:35 Tdy.
    Day High Rain Rate
    Day High Barometer
    100.98 kPa @ 09:13 Tdy.
    Day Low Barometer
    100.77 kPa @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day Low Windchill
    9.6° C @ 02:35 Tdy.
    Day High Heat Index
    19.2° C @ 13:09 Tdy.
    Day High Wind Gust
    S 8km/h @ 14:45 Tdy.
    Day High Solar Radiation
    958W/m2 @ 12:22 Tdy.
    Day High UV Index
    4.9 @ 13:32 Tdy.

If you were at the movie on Wednesday night and managed to stick it out through the rain shower, congratulations! Not everyone did. We managed to huddle under our umbrella and soldier on.


Most of the rain that will fall has already done so. We’ve received 4.8mm this morning. Normal for the month is 44mm so we are still well below that.

We might get a few more sprinkles through the morning but after noon they should be moved away and things will start to dry out.

Saturday will be our transition day, mostly cloudy, but warm. Sunday still looks partly cloudy in the models but we should reach back into the high twenties or maybe hit 30.

Monday and Beyond:

It looks dry through Tuesday and then Wednesday and Thursday there might be a return of this patchy wetness.

The Canadian Ensemble long range forecast now reaches out to August 30th. The mean and median amounts it comes out with for rain between now and the end of the month is between 7 and 11mm. Not much. But at least it isn’t bone dry.

Newly discovered resource:

For a while I’ve been annoyed with Environment Canada that they don’t have a way to set a month and day and check for extremes in the many weather stations spanning the past 50 to 100 years. Well, either I’ve missed it all these years, or they just created one because now they have a website that does that. (I snapshot of it is at the top of this post).

So now when we get a really smoking hot day that breaks a short term record (since 1995) at the Airport I can go here and look through the past 3 stations covering over 100 years and tell you if it is an all time record or not. Yay for data!

Have a great weekend all!