The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for August 2020
As far as temperatures go, August 2020 was a not very remarkable. And if you thought it still lacked a little in high temperatures, you’re right. The high temperatures in both the City and Airport were below normal.
However, it wasn’t an unpleasant month and we only had one day that seemed a little out of place.
Story of the Month
It was definitely that rain on August 20th. As you will read below, August 20, 2020 (Note the three twenties!?) could be a day that lives on for quite awhile.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
One new low temp mark was set at the Airport. However the most extreme record of the year was registered on August 20th when 50.4mm of rain fell at Robertson Creek and 46.6 mm fell at the Alberni Airport. Both smashed any previous daily rain total for August 20. Maquinna Elementary was actually the second highest reading in the valley on August 20th at 50.3mm.
- August 9 low temp 6.9º C: #1 is tied at 4.4º C at Robertson Creek in 1919, 1932, 1946, 1955 and also at 4.4º C at Port Alberni City in 1919.
- August 20 high rainfall 46.6 mm is #2 ALL TIME: #1 NEW ALL TIME is 50.4 mm at Robertson Creek on August 20, 2020.
City Station Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 13.0 ºC, 18.7 ºC, 25.2 ºC, 61.0 mm , S 40.2 kph on 5th
- Alberni Elem. : 12.5 ºC, 18.5 ºC, 24.7 ºC, 66.0 mm, SE, S 25 kph on 5th, 21st
- Maquinna Elem.: 13.0 ºC, 18.2 ºC, 24.6 ºC, 72.9 mm, – 27 kph on 21st
- Neptune: 13.0 ºC, 18.3 ºC, 25.2 ºC, NA , – 27 kph on 21st
- Nick’s (Maq area): 12.9 ºC, 17.9 ºC, 23.5 ºC, 48.8 mm, E, SE 31.4 kph on 5th, 21st
City and Airport
Compared to Normal
Differences from Normal (1971-2000) in the City
+2.4° C, +0.4º C, -0.6 ºC, +20.4 mm (149%)
This Month’s Average City Values
- City Stations Average: 12.9º C, 18.3º C, 24.6º C, 62.2 mm
- Normal 1971-2000 (Prt Alb A (Somass)): 10.5º C, 17.9º C 25.2° C, 41.8 mm
Differences from Normal (1981-2010) at the Airport
-0.5° C, -0.8º C, -1.1º C, +27.8 mm (160%)
This Month’s Average Airport Values
- Airport : 10.4º C, 17.7º C, 25.0° C, 74.2 mm, None over 29kph.
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrtsn Creek): 10.9º C, 18.5º C 26.1° C, 46.4 mm
Official Days of Precipitation at Airport*
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 7.8 : 7
>= 5 mm: 2.4 : 2
>= 10 mm: 1.3 : 2
>= 25 mm: 0.32 : 1
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca or Missing Data (January 2020) **^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport. ** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures. ***Rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline. *~: Neptune station missing data from 21st onward. ^Estimated amount, as new rain gauge installed on the 7th, used Alberni Elementary totals before that date.