The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for August 2019
Catching up on this month… this post was actually written January 1 2020 but is back-dated so it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. 🙂
This month would not have been notable for its average temperature and dry stretch but there was one very interesting day, the first of the month. August 1st saw the all time record for rainfall smashed when 34mm fell. The record for the day was 14.5mm in 1934.
That first day was responsible for 75% of the rain all month so unfortunately by the end of the month it likely felt in the bush like it was pretty dry as we had just 6 days of minimal rainfall after the first.
A low record was set on August 20th but it did not come close to the all time record set in 1945.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
One daily ALL TIME RECORD high rain and one daily low temperature record set. Neither record beat the all time high for stations in the valley.
- Aug 1 ALL TIME high rain 34.0 mm: #1 was 14.5 mm at Port Alberni in 1934.
- Aug 20 low temp 7.7º C: #1 is 1.7º C at Beaver Creek in 1945.
August 2019 City Station Data Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 14.6º C, 19.4 C, 25.5º C, NA*** , S 43.6 kph on 2nd
- Alberni Elem. : 14.2º C, 19.2º C, 25.2º C, 55.1 mm, SSE 29 kph on the 18th (SE) and 20th (SSE)
- Maquinna Elem.: NA****
- Nick’s (Maq area): NA*****
***Alberniweather rain gauge faulty. ****Maquinna station offline. *****Nick’s data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)).
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages and Normals
- City Average: 14.4º C, 19.3º C, 25.4 C, 55.1 mm
- Airport* : 12.3º C, 19.0º C, 25.7° C, 45.0 mm, NW 13 kph on 14th
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): 10.9º C, 18.5º C 26.1° C, 46.4 mm
Differences from Normal
- City +3.5° C, +0.8º C, -0.7º C, +8.7 mm, (118.8% of normal)
- Official Airport +1.4° C, +0.5º C, -0.4º C, -1.4 mm (97.0% of normal)
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 7.8 : 7
>= 5 mm: 2.4 : 1
>= 10 mm: 1.3 : 1
>= 25 mm: 0.32 : 1
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.