The Alberniweather and Alberni Valley Climate Summary for April 2019
Catching up on this month… this post was actually written January 2 2020 but is back-dated so it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. 🙂
April was an average month for the most part. No high temperature records were set and just one rain record was set. The Valley received around 85% of its normal rainfall for the month. There were 3 low temperature records set at the Airport at the end of the month but none of them challenged the all time records for those days.
There were exactly normal numbers of days with precipitation.
Daily and All Time Records Set
Set at the Airport* since 1994 and compared to other stations** for “All Time” since 1900.
Multiple low temperature records at the end of the month but they did not eclipse an all time low. There was also a high rain record for the airport but it was well short of the record for the day.
- April 19 high rain 17.3 mm: #1 is 50.3 mm at Port Alberni in 1960.
- April 27 low temp -1.4º C: #1 is -3.9º C at Beaver Creek in 1911/1955.
- April 28 low temp -2.0º C: #1 is -3.9º C at Beaver Creek in 1907.
- April 29 low temp -2.3º C: #1 is -3.3º C at Beaver Creek in 1954/1955 and Robertson Creek in 1972.
April 2019 City Station Data Comparisons
Mean Min, Mean, and Mean Max Temperature,
Total Precipitation and Highest Wind
- Alberniweather: 5.0º C, 9.7º C, 14.7º C, NA*** , S 53.1 kph on 6th
- Alberni Elem. : NA*****
- Maquinna.: 5.3º C, 9.5º C, 14.5º C, 143.0 mm, N 36.0 kph on 6th
- Neptune: 5.2º C, 9.8º C, 15.3º C, NA*** , SE 11.0 kph on 6th
- Nick’s (Maq area): 5.1º C, 9.3º C, 14.2º C, 106.4 mm, SSE 40.7 kph on 6th.
***Alberniweather rain gauge faulty. ****Alberni Elementary station offline. *****Nick’s data currently unavailable (not Nicks fault :)).
Overall City Averages compared to Station of Record Averages and Normals
- City Average: 5.2º C, 9.6º C, 14.7º C, 124.7 mm
- Airport* : 3.0º C, 8.7º C, 14.4° C, 126.3 mm, NNW 25 kph on 13th.
Differences from Normal
- Normal 1981-2010 (Rbrstn Creek): 2.7º C, 8.5º C 14.2° C, 144.2 mm
- City +2.5° C, +1.1º C, +0.5º C, -19.5 mm, (86.5% of normal)
- Official Airport +0.3° C, +0.2º C, +0.2º C, -17.9 mm (87.6% of normal)
Normal Days : Days This Month
>= 0.2 mm: 17.6 : 16
>= 5 mm: 7.8 : 7
>= 10 mm: 4.7 : 4
>= 25 mm: 1.4 : 1
* May have used backup Environment Canada Data source at WeatherStats.ca
**^^ Missing Data from Airport, Alberniweather broke existing Airport record temperature. Temperature at Alberniweather will be different. Usually Alberniweather underestimates temperatures in summer compared to Airport.
** Short Term means since 1995 at the new AVRA Airport. Airport Records are compared to the 30+ year weather stations of record since 1900 (1895 for rain) at Beaver Creek, Port Alberni "City" and Robertson Creek. Note that records pre 1950 may be more likely to over-estimate high temperatures.