Sat. Aug 17th, 2019

Where did that snow come from!?

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 4:00 PM PDT Friday 16 August 2019 - Friday night: Partly cloudy. Low 15. Saturday: Mainly cloudy. High 24. Humidex 27. UV index 6 or high. Saturday night: Partly cloudy. Becoming cloudy overnight with 30 percent chance of drizzle before morning. Low 15. Sunday: A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of drizzle. High 23. Sunday night: Clear. Low 13. Monday: Sunny. High 24. Monday night: Cloudy periods. Low 14. Tuesday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 22. Tuesday night: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 14. Wednesday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 20. Wednesday night: Clear. Low 12. Thursday: Sunny. High 22.

  • Current Conditions
    17.0° C
    -0.1 ° C/hr
    101.5 kPa
    N/A 0 km/h
    gusting 0 km/h
    85 %
    Rain Rate
    0.0 mm/hr
    Wind Chill
    17.0° C
    Heat Index
    17.0° C
    14.5° C
    0 W/m2
    Last Updated: 4:35:00 PDT
    Click to Refresh or See All Conditions
  • Today's Almanac
    Rain since Midnight
    0.0 mm
    Continuous Rainfall (< 24hr gap)
    No Qualifying Rainfall mm
    Civil Rise
    Moon Phase
    Waning gibbous (96% full)
    Civil Set
    Day Length
    Day High
    17.5° C @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day Low
    17.0° C @ 03:38 Tdy.
    Day High Rain Rate
    Day High Barometer
    101.62 kPa @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day Low Barometer
    101.5 kPa @ 04:29 Tdy.
    Day Low Windchill
    17.0° C @ 03:38 Tdy.
    Day High Heat Index
    17.5° C @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day High Wind Gust
    S 3km/h @ 00:20 Tdy.
    Day High Solar Radiation
    0W/m2 @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day High UV Index
    0.0 @ 00:00 Tdy.

So I wake up this morning at 5:30 to get ready for work, I glance out my front window and there is a bunch of white stuff all over the place!


Here they were calling for 10-20mm of rain overnight last night and instead we get a dump of wet and nasty slush all over the place. Probably about 3cm worth in spots here at Alberniweather.

Be careful driving on Highway 4 today. I just went to drivebc and they are reporting Compact Snow with Slippery sections all the way from Tofino/Ucluelet Junction to Qualicum junction.

This should be the last we see of the white stuff. And later today we should also get a good blast of wind everywhere but in Port Alberni. On my drive home Wed. Afternoon Mr. Madryga said there was a gust of wind at Sartina Island off Cape Scott of 145kph. That’s Cat 2 hurricane strength! Yeeha.

Have fun in the snow all. Stay warm. We should warm up to more seasonal temperatures by Sunday.

18 thoughts on “Where did that snow come from!?

  1. We had some white stuff the other night, but it didn’t stick around. Also was talking to the Estevan Pt lightkeeper today and she reported that they experienced an 80-someodd knot gust of wind overnight. Yikes!

  2. Wow!

    I wonder then if what Mark Madryga quoted was sustained and gusting higher than that! Generally it’s worse further north/west than Estevan.

    Wow. That’ 150kph.

  3. It was pretty bad here last night too. My station caught a 34kt gust at one point, but it didn’t make the computer…’course, then the power went squirrelly for the night, causing the network to go down (in an orderly way).

  4. I think I have seen everything today as far as weather conditions are concerned, with the exception of hurricane force winds, lightning and thunder. And perhaps fog.

  5. Well, our day was fun! Around dinner time I swear Mommy Nature opened the hoppers. Holy Crap! You didn’t dare go outside – the ice pellets would beat you into the ground! And the wind! Estevan Point reported a 93 knot gust this afternoon. Yes, you read right, 93 knots!

  6. Well, the 93kt gust was a remark, so the EC types may have disregarded it. But the keeper definitely told us they’d had a 93kt gust!

  7. Oh, Chris – Cape Beale lighthouse! Best lighthouse on earth, and an awesome trail in! My favorite hike on the island! The natural bridge over the small cove is amazing!!!

  8. I was really impressed with the setup on Lennard Island when I was there a couple years ago putting in a satellite dish for internet, and an antenna for a wave buoy research project.

  9. Cape Beale’s senior keeper is retiring soon, but I don’t think they’re hiring any more keepers now. CCG wants to automate all the lights, so when a keeper retires, either the junior gets promoted, or the senior’s wife (husband) becomes the assistant.

  10. I met “knobby” there a couple times on my hikes in. He was great! I believe he’s been retired a few years now (just after my last hike there), and his assistant was promoted. I hope to get out there again this summer for sure, but heard the trail is badly damaged. I’ll pack for an extra night just to be safe!!!

  11. His name is Norby, but he isn’t retired yet. He formally retires this spring – May I think. His original assistant, Ivan, won the competition to be senior keeper at Scarlett Point, up by Port Hardy. The current junior at Cape Beale, Karen, might get promoted, I don’t know.

Comments are closed.