Tue. Jul 16th, 2019

We could set 4 straight all-time records by Thursday

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 05:00 AM PDT Tuesday 16 July 2019 - Tuesday: Becoming a mix of sun and cloud this morning with 30 percent chance of showers this afternoon. Fog patches dissipating this morning. High 25. Humidex 27. UV index 8 or very high. Tuesday night: Cloudy. Rain beginning near midnight. Low 14. Wednesday: Rain ending late in the morning then cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 22. UV index 3 or moderate. Wednesday night: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 12. Thursday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 19. Thursday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 8. Friday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 23. Friday night: Cloudy periods. Low 10. Saturday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 25. Saturday night: Clear. Low 12. Sunday: Sunny. High 24. Sunday night: Clear. Low 12. Monday: Sunny. High 24.

  • Current Conditions
    16.0° C
    0.2 ° C/hr
    101.64 kPa
    N/A 0 km/h
    gusting 0 km/h
    90 %
    Rain Rate
    0.0 mm/hr
    Wind Chill
    16.0° C
    Heat Index
    16.0° C
    14.4° C
    0 W/m2
    Last Updated: 5:05:00 PDT
    Click to Refresh or See All Conditions
  • Today's Almanac
    Rain since Midnight
    0.0 mm
    Continuous Rainfall (< 24hr gap)
    1.5 mm since
    July 15, 2019 00:07
    Civil Rise
    Moon Phase
    Full (100% full)
    Civil Set
    Day Length
    Day High
    16.7° C @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day Low
    15.5° C @ 02:27 Tdy.
    Day High Rain Rate
    Day High Barometer
    101.7 kPa @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day Low Barometer
    101.64 kPa @ 03:29 Tdy.
    Day Low Windchill
    15.5° C @ 02:27 Tdy.
    Day High Heat Index
    16.7° C @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day High Wind Gust
    S 0km/h @ 01:20 Tdy.
    Day High Solar Radiation
    0W/m2 @ 00:00 Tdy.
    Day High UV Index
    0.0 @ 00:00 Tdy.

Keep an eye on the temperatures because we could be in for a historic 4 days… and hey, the CBC is even paying attention to us!

As you know we set an alltime record yesterday the 27th of July.

Today even though the result isn’t posted on their webpage I’m sure we’ll have set a record for the 28th of July.

If the forecasted high of 40C comes true tomorrow, then another record will likely fall.

And Thursday with its 35C record could set a record as well. I will go through later tonight and see what the highest temps for each of those days are and post them here.

The holy grail (if you really want to call it that!) will be that magic 41.7C mark. If the Airport goes above that, then it will be an alltime record for any date since records began in 1904.

Stay Cool! And if you’re in Port Alberni, we are finally on water restrictions. Every 2nd day… Odd/Even.. watering only between 6-10AM and 6-10PM.

UPDATE 4: We have a 3 Day streak going – And extending our heatwave

The Hottest temp for:
July 27: New Record set, 38.5C at the Airport!
July 28: 37.5C in 1998 at Robertson Creek (It’s official, we beat that too, 39.8C)
July 29: 37.8C in 1971 at Robertson Creek (beat it! 40.0C at the airport!)
July 30: 40.6C in 1965 at McCoy Lake (Nope didn’t beat it… 36.6C.. the streak ends)

According to the AVTimes on the 28th, David Jones of Environment Canada used a heatwave definition of being over 32C for a long period… so I modified my list of heat waves accordingly but the top is still 12 days.

That would mean our current official heatwave started on Saturday July 25 (click to see this months value) and so far looks like this:

Saturday, July 25: 34.4C
Sunday, July 26: 35.0C
Monday, July 27: 38.5C
Tuesday, July 28: 39.8C
Wednesday, July 29: 40.0C
Thursday, July 30: 36.6C

UPDATED We could get to 11 days if we beat Tuesdays 31.
Friday, July 31: 35C
Saturday, August 1: 34C
Sunday, August 2: 34C
Monday, August 3: 33C
Tuesday, August 4: 31C

That will give us a total of 10 days of at least 32C. We’ve never had a 10 day streak. We’ve had 8, 9 and 12.

3 thoughts on “We could set 4 straight all-time records by Thursday

  1. weather is so fascinating when it’s record breaking like this..here we are all hot and dry and Ontario flooding…East Coast wet..Mother Nature works in strange ways…

  2. I understand that the heat causes real problems for some people, but I was disappointed that it wasn’t quite as hot yesterday! I wanted another 40 degree day!

  3. Ya, I was hoping to break that record… we came pretty close. And we still have a really good shot at equaling the all-time longest heatwave in Alberni history.

Comments are closed.