Mon. May 20th, 2019

Strong Low, more Snow

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 11:00 AM PDT Monday 20 May 2019 - Monday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 16. UV index 3 or moderate. Monday night: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 9. Tuesday: Clearing in the morning. High 23. UV index 7 or high. Tuesday night: Clear. Low 7. Wednesday: Sunny. High 25. Wednesday night: Clear. Low 9. Thursday: Sunny. High 25. Thursday night: Clear. Low 11. Friday: Sunny. High 20. Friday night: Clear. Low 10. Saturday: Sunny. High 22. Saturday night: Clear. Low 11. Sunday: Sunny. High 22.

  • Current Conditions
    16.9° C
    1.1 ° C/hr
    100.6 kPa
    SE 12.9 km/h
    gusting 22.5 km/h
    57 %
    Rain Rate
    0.0 mm/hr
    Wind Chill
    16.9° C
    Heat Index
    16.9° C
    8.4° C
    642 W/m2
    Last Updated: 13:20:00 PDT
    Click to Refresh or See All Conditions
  • Day Almanac
    Day's Rain
    0.0 mm
    Day ET
    0.0 mm mm
    Rain Storm
    NotAvailable mm
    Civil Rise
    Moon Phase
    Full (96% full)
    Civil Set
    Day Length
    Day High
    16.9° C @ 13:19 Tdy.
    Day Low
    11.7° C @ 01:21 Tdy.
    Day High Rain Rate
    Day High Barometer
    100.71 kPa @ 00:43 Tdy.
    Day Low Barometer
    100.6 kPa @ 12:44 Tdy.
    Day Low Windchill
    11.7° C @ 01:21 Tdy.
    Day High Heat Index
    16.9° C @ 13:19 Tdy.
    Day High Wind Gust
    S 16.1km/h @ 02:10 Tdy.
    Day High Solar Radiation
    1209W/m2 @ 12:29 Tdy.
    Day High UV Index
    6.2 @ 12:28 Tdy.

Could be a rather fun 24 hours. Notice the Barometer is quite low this morning and dropping. That’s the lowest it has been pretty much all winter. The EC forecast is talking about a “very deep” low forming just offshore that sping some moisture into the area and, thanks to the cool airmass, cause snow at higher elevation.

More importantly though, it is slated to track over Vancouver Island. By the look of the 6AM Satellite chart right now I think it has passed a little farther North than originally forecast so that shoud be a good thing in terms of wind, but could mean we’ll end up a with cooler air and more snow if moisture comes into the mix.

I’d say this weekend ranks up there in the weird-weather category for this year! Can you tell it’s Spring? Mother Nature doesn’t know what to throw at us. 😉

UPDATE Its been quite the day already… and if you want to know why, just check out the “eye” of the storm in the satellite shot here… the closer you are to the bottom-front (South East) edge of the “eye” the stronger your winds will be.

Strong Low Sunday March 15 2009

Now that the barometer is heading up (slowly) the “eye” has probably passed as close as it is going to get… but we’ll still get gusty winds and intermittent rain/snow as the “bands” wash over us.

10 thoughts on “Strong Low, more Snow

  1. Remember last year? We had snow squalls well into April as I recall, so the range of “normal” is broader than we all like to remember. I was scouring all the weather sites for even a little bit of good news this morning and I found some! Brett Anderson’s long range forecasts show us moving into a more normal normal after next week!

  2. Here in Nanaimo it’s windy and snowing like crazy. Last April we got a dump of snow one day as well. Winter is not done yet.

  3. I hope Brett is right! He was right about the below normal temp/ normal normal precip for March.

    I do remember the snowfall last year, I think it was the last day of classes at VIU. 🙂

    What’s made this year so oddball has been the cold and the dryness. Looks like the dryness is gone for now… but the cold is sticking around!

    How many days until May Long Weekend? That’s “the start of summer” right? 🙂

  4. I’m at work right now and the wind is trying its darnedest to blow our building down. We’re clocking South 30 gusting 45 here, the sea looks positively crazy, and snow has fallen. Welcome to Spring!!!!

  5. Yes, that’s knots. I work in a “marine” environment so I deal with nautical miles and knots. PLus 2 time zones 😉

    On another note, I see our barometer is acting like it’s attached to the space shuttle during launch. Still damp out here but I think the rain(snow)fall has stopped for now.

  6. Ya I dont know what the heck is going on with the time on the posts and comments. The settings are right in the blog… but the times are wrong on the page. Makes no sense!

    Wonder what tomorrow will bring!?

  7. Chris, did you notice that the link for San Francisco U is stuck? The pressure map has not updated since the 13th.

Comments are closed.