Special Weather Statement – Unpredictable Showers and Thundershowers

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 4:00 PM PST Friday 23 February 2018 - Friday night: A few flurries and rain showers ending near midnight then clearing. Low minus 3. Saturday: Sunny. Increasing cloudiness in the afternoon then 60 percent chance of showers late in the afternoon. High 7. Saturday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of rain showers or flurries. Low zero. Sunday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of rain showers or flurries. High 7. Sunday night: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of rain showers or flurries. Low minus 2. Monday: Cloudy. High 8. Monday night: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low plus 1. Tuesday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 8. Tuesday night: Periods of rain. Low plus 2. Wednesday: Rain. High 7. Wednesday night: Rain or snow. Low plus 1. Thursday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 7.

  • Today's conditions as of ... time not working right since Tsunami... but data below is fresh. 🙂

    Click to Refresh or See All Conditions

    Still image of the Live Webcam
    N 49° 14' 46.1" :: W 124° 47' 60" at 30 m Google View

Environment Canada just issued a special weather statement. Basically, the guaranteed sunny hot weather is going to be replaced by unpredictable showers or thundershowers over the next few days. Sounds as though the further north you are on the Island, the less likely you are to see showers, but be on the lookout.

Here is the full statement:

https://ecalertme.weather.gc.ca/warning-latest_e.php?ualert_id=115&alert_code=SPS

Change in the weather pattern for the long weekend.

After a month-long dry spell the weather pattern across Southern British Columbia is about to change. The peristent ridge of high pressure that has steered all weak summer storms northward into the Gulf Of Alaska will be replaced by a weak low pressure system that will eventually bring showers and thundershowers.

The low is just off the Washington coast and is spreading high clouds northward into BC. Over the next few days the low will linger over Southern BC and rainshowers and thunderstorms will spread northward. The circulation around this low is so weak that predicting the location of showers and thundershowers will be a day-to-day challenge.

There are many large public events scheduled for the BC day long weekend. Event organizers should be especially aware that lightning, downpours, gusty winds and hail often accompany thunderstorms. Campers, boaters and hikers noticing a darkening sky or sudden increases in the wind, should seek shelter immediately when thunderstorms are in the forecast.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment Canada at www.weatheroffice.gc.ca.

One Reply to “Special Weather Statement – Unpredictable Showers and Thundershowers”

Comments are closed.