June 5, 2020

New Station site in time for hot weather!

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 11:00 AM PDT Friday 05 June 2020 - Friday: Mainly cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers late this afternoon. High 21. UV index 6 or high. Friday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 9. Saturday: Mainly cloudy with 70 percent chance of showers. High 15. UV index 5 or moderate. Saturday night: Cloudy periods with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 6. Sunday: Sunny. High 21. Sunday night: Clear. Low 10. Monday: Sunny. High 16. Monday night: Rain. Low 9. Tuesday: Rain. High 17. Tuesday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 11. Wednesday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 18. Wednesday night: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 12. Thursday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 20.

So a few weeks ago I had a discussion with Ed Weibe down at UVic about where how my weather station was installed on my house. They weren’t happy. It was too close and while I felt it was not producing overly heated daytime temps, they disagreed. As they are the ones with the Dr. in front of their names, I conceded to their wisdom. 🙂

So tonight you’ll notice a few weird values. It’s from me moving the station around… inserts some random numbers for some reason so just ignore them, they’ll go away within 24hrs if I don’t remove them first. Update: The offending values have been removed.

The upshot is that my station is now placed no less than 1 metre above the peak of my house, and 2 metres above the nearest flat asphalt surface.

The UVic folks wanted me to be at least 1 metre away from any surfaces, so this should more than satisfy them and it should mean that temperature values from my station will be as good as they can possibly be.

Looking forward to that 30 degree weather for Thursday and Friday! I’m on vacation, Summer is Here! Woooo!

13 thoughts on “New Station site in time for hot weather!

  1. I’m surprised they are even allowing that. (Near surfaces) I’ve tried to get my temp sensor as far from any surface that may store/expel heat during the day. Ideally I’d like to be about 30 feet from the house in the back yard 4′ above ground, but I don’t have enough real estate.

  2. It’ll be interesting to see if there is any change in the difference between your temperatures and Environment Canada’s. During the last heat wave I noticed that your site tended to record the highest of all the local sites, so this might even them out a bit.. or not- we’ll see.

  3. Nick: Ya if you look at their pictures of their stations like here:

    they’re all pretty identical. About 1-2 metres off the surface. Ed said the that’s far enough to be removed from the boundary layer of the building.

    Hey btw Nick. what was your highest temp during our heat wave in June?

    Bill: I will be watching very closely as well. I am generally 2-3C warmer than the EC station at the Airport, so if that trend changes, we’ll know that the new site is the culprit.

  4. Interesting. This is something I have been meaning to mention to you. I would think that anyplace directly above your house would be affected by it’s heat island & associated warm updraft. Perhaps the best place would be on a 1.5m bracket, sticking out from the side of the roof peak. Let me know if you need a bracket fabricated…I’ll supply the labor free, because I use your stations info so much.

  5. Though I guess it’s not really a valid comparison anyway… I really wish i got the wireless version of this station, then i could get a 2nd set of temp/humid sensors and put them down in the yard.

  6. I had an inexpensive station, which was wireless, but I put it back in the box after spending a fortune on batteries for a few months and being frustrated with interference causing false readings. I had a heck of a time finding good locations for the sending units. It could be cause it was a cheap one though…

  7. Looks like we are getting those toasty warm northerly winds again. Glad I fired up the A/C already to try and keep the house somewhat cool.

Comments are closed.