DOWNTIME: Installing new Sensors

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 4:00 PM PDT Friday 23 March 2018 - Friday night: Rain showers and wet flurries ending late this evening then cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Risk of thunderstorms this evening. Local snowfall amount 2 cm over higher terrain. Low zero. Saturday: A mix of sun and cloud. 30 percent chance of flurries in the morning then 30 percent chance of rain showers in the afternoon. High 8. UV index 3 or moderate. Saturday night: Clearing in the evening. Increasing cloudiness before morning. Low minus 1. Sunday: Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. High 8. Sunday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low plus 2. Monday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 7. Monday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low plus 3. Tuesday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 14. Tuesday night: Cloudy periods. Low plus 5. Wednesday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 13. Wednesday night: Cloudy periods. Low plus 5. Thursday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 12.

  • Current Conditions
    2.3° C
    -0.3 ° C/hr
    100.9 kPa
    N/A 0.0 km/h
    gusting 3.2 km/h
    96 %
    Rain Rate
    0.0 mm/hr
    Wind Chill
    2.3° C
    Heat Index
    2.3° C
    1.8° C
    0 W/m2
    Last Updated: 22:55:00 PST
    Click to Refresh or See All Conditions
  • Day Almanac
    Day's Rain
    9.4 mm
    Day ET
    0.0 mm mm
    Rain Storm
    NotAvailable mm
    Civil Rise
    Moon Phase
    First quarter (46% full)
    Civil Set
    Day Length
    Day High
    6.4° C @ 14:08 Tdy.
    Day Low
    0.8° C @ 08:36 Tdy.
    Day High Rain Rate
    3.0mm/hr @ 09:31 Tdy.
    Day High Barometer
    100.91 kPa @ 21:29 Tdy.
    Day Low Barometer
    100.45 kPa @ 05:14 Tdy.
    Day Low Windchill
    -1.2° C @ 08:34 Tdy.
    Day High Heat Index
    6.4° C @ 14:08 Tdy.
    Day High Wind Gust
    S 12.2km/h @ 15:20 Tdy.
    Day High Solar Radiation
    960W/m2 @ 11:56 Tdy.
    Day High UV Index
    2.7 @ 11:55 Tdy.

Now that the temperature has peaked, I’m going to be taking the system down for the next few hours. Will be back hopefully tonight with UV and Solar Radiation sensors online.

Wish Me Luck!

UPDATE 19:17: All is going well so far. The station is down from its previous perch, the cables are all in place and I’ve added the sensors to the mount. Unfortunately, I’ve been delayed by a sudden death in the family. One of my 4 year old daughters fish just passed away (after only 3 days from the store). So I may or may not be able to finish tonight, we’ll see. I will update again if there is a delay until tomorrow.

UPDATE TWO 20:54: Success! Everything is back on the roof in its new spot. Looks like the station is seeing the new sensors, and I’m just going about updating the webpage for the new values.

There might be a little more downtime tomorrow as I need to double check the level on the mounts but other than that it looks good!

FINAL UPDATE: 22:46: Just want to let everyone know. These new sensors add a whole mess of capability (that I won’t be using all of yet) onto the station, and website. Because of that, my entire database serving the graphs and all non-current values has to be reinitialized.

This basically means that the graphs are not going to change until the new database is ready and I can switch over to it. We’re talking about 3 years of data, and over 100,000 records need to be recreated, so it’s gonna take a few hours, hopefully it will be done by morning but if not, current conditions will not be affected.

See you tomorrow!