September 25, 2020

Continuing mild but mostly nice

  • Vancouver Island Inland Sections Forecast - No watches or warnings in effect.

    Forecast Issued 4:00 PM PDT Thursday 24 September 2020 - Thursday night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers this evening. Rain at times heavy beginning late this evening. Risk of a thunderstorm early this evening. Amount 20 to 30 mm. Wind becoming southwest 40 to 60 km/h before morning. Low 13. Friday: Rain ending in the morning then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Wind southwest 40 to 60 km/h diminishing to 30 in the morning. High 18. UV index 3 or moderate. Friday night: Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 10. Saturday: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 17. Saturday night: Showers. Low 11. Sunday: Periods of rain. High 15. Sunday night: Periods of rain. Low 11. Monday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 23. Monday night: Clear. Low 10. Tuesday: Sunny. High 23. Tuesday night: Clear. Low 10. Wednesday: Sunny. High 22.

We should continue with the pattern of the last few days. Fog will greet us each morning followed by mostly sunny to partly cloudy skies and highs in the low-20 to mid-20s. The weekend is actually forecast to be cloudy, but there shouldn’t be any rain associated with that and I expect that we’ll get more sun than they are giving us credit for in the forecast.

It’s been a very sort of ho-hum summer hasn’t it? This is certainly the most mild summer I’ve recorded since the first one I was here in 2006.

I’ve added some links under the Almanac section.

  1. 1: “Daily Trends” takes you to a listing of automatically generated files for each day. Just find the date you’re looking for (today will always be at the bottom) and it gives you the conditions at 5 minute intervals throughout the day.
  2. 2: “NOAA Reports” can now be accessed by going to the Monthly and Yearly Almanacs. These give you summaries of the months and years, including average temperatures, wind speeds, etc.

If you look at the mean temperatures for July in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 you’ll see the mean temperature I recorded was between 18.5 and 20.5C for the month. July 2011 had a mean temperature of only 16.4C!

Thankfully, August has been our saviour. The mean temperatures in the past have been between 17C and 18.5C … so far we have had a mean temperature of 17.6C. So not out of the ordinary.

Here’s yesterdays timelapse. (When you hit play, click on where it says “360p” and switch it to “720p” for the HD version.

A Request: If you or someone you know has a Canon, Sony, Agfa, Kodak or Olympus point-and-shoot camera (Not-DSLR) that is at least 7 megapixel please let me know if you’d mind me borrowing it for a couple days. I am trying to test a bunch of cameras to use as a setup for a new webcam. The one I have now isn’t permanent unfortunately, but I just can’t bear to go back to the old one! You can email me, or leave a comment here or message me on Facebook or leave a message at 723-0889.