OK, so I spent a good 2 hours talking to Davis (actually, my wife did… she’s the customer service guru in the family… I was there for technical background 🙂 ).
In the end, one of the managers admitted that there was no hope of us ever getting a “new” in the box station. We’re stuck with replacement parts.
In the end, the manager blamed our rough sea bourne weather for the problems with the temp/humidity sensor. I have my doubts… but, they’re going to send me a new fandangled part that is “hardened” for our “extreme” environment.
We’ll see what happens. It’s on it’s way here now, but in the meantime I still plan on getting back on the roof tomorrow and reinstalling the old sensor that should bring back all the data except for intermittent 100% humidity readings.
Thank you again for your patience… if it makes you feel better, I find this extremely frustrating and embarrassing… so I’m working to get it fixed ASAP.
Update: Since the site is mostly “down” anyway, I’m going to take the opportunity to upgrade the blogging software behind it (WordPress). So over the next few hours you might see some weirdness happen as files are updated and whatnot. No worries, it will all be back up shortly. I’ll update again when I’ve completed the upgrade.
Update 2: WordPress is now upgraded… Maybe I’ll work on some of that “customization” stuff now as well.
Update 3: I’m working on implementing the Unit changing system… you may notice very brief weirdness if you try the new “Current Units are…” menu. Exciting times!